Saturday, October 23, 2010


It’s said age is a state of mind. I disagree. I think it is a state of body. My mind thinks I’m still in my 20s until I try to move a couch or walk past a mirror. That’s when my brain is shoved back into reality.

I live in a tourist community where bus loads of retirees visit, especially in the fall. For years the only thing I’ve really noticed when they’re in town is how long it takes them to order at Panera Bread. As more birthdays come and go I’m starting to watch how they operate. I normally learn backwards. I see how I don’t want to do things and then do just the opposite. This time of year I can earn a masters degree in how I don’t want to age.

An older friend of mine once told me, “You know I’m getting ready to die.” That was 10 years ago. What a depressing mindset! Why do people spend the last 20 or 30 years of their life getting ready to die? That’s wasting valuable time. My friend Darnell, in her early 90s, goes to the office every day. My Uncle Arlo just started taking Spanish at the University. He’s 82.

And, I don’t want to become crotchety. If I do I’m sure my kids will call me out on it. I’ve watched older couples argue whether they drove a mile or a mile and a quarter to get somewhere or if something happened 25 or 30 years ago like national security depended on it. Does it matter and who cares!

I sometimes wonder if there’s a code of dress that comes in the mail about the time advertisements from theSCOOTERstore.com and Tru Ear start arriving. Eighty percent of older folks dress the same, and it’s boring. Every once in a while I’ll see a woman who’s trying a little too hard to hang on to youth and it’s not pretty either. So I’ve learned I want to land somewhere between boring and hoochie momma. I think Kari, Alison and Jill will make sure of that.

I suppose age is all about attitude and spirit. I want to be like Darnell and Arlo, busy enjoying life for a long time. I’ll just secretly take my joint soother and ice down body parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment