Friday, October 8, 2010


At the bottom of it all, what do we really want? In grade school it was the latest toy. In high school we wanted a car and to desperately fit in and in college it was the degree. Then it’s a job, a spouse and again the latest toy. As official adults we’re off to pursue the American Dream of a house, two cars and 2.5 kids.

But how many times do we see people who are so on track suddenly have every facet of the dream evaporate. Bad decisions, unavoidable circumstances, unplanned interruptions change everything. So then what’s the dream?

Jim’s reading the book, What Americans Really Want ... Really. The subtitle is The Truth About Our Hopes, Dreams, and Fears. According to the author’s research we want a Toyota Camry or a Ford F-150 in our driveway, an Apple iPhone in our pocket, honesty and the truth from our government and Cheerios in our cereal bowls. But, if we don’t get those things. Can we be happy then?

I met a man and woman vacationing from Argentina the other day and wondered if they pursue the Argentina Dream. If so, what’s that dream made of? In parts of Africa I think a full belly would be a dream and in Israel peace would be a dream.

In reality what Americans really want is to be happy. We all know those who have the stuff and they’re miserable. So the dream is not in the stuff. Contentment is living the dream and it comes with an attitude of gratefulness.

I’ve discovered I’m living the dream because I’m healthy, I’m blessed with a family, I have plenty to eat, and for pity sake I live on the lake. I don’t have a Ford F-150 or an iPhone, but I do have a Rav4, Droid and some Cheerios.

“...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”
~Philippians 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment