Sunday, August 15, 2010


There are some things I knew I would never do, especially at my age. Drugs and bikinis are two of them and I’m sticking tight on that decision. The other thing I never saw myself doing was going on a road trip without a plan. I love a plan. There is imaginary security in the plan. I work the plan. Heading out with Jim Brawner for two weeks with the plan being “we are on a road trip” is really scary. He’s thrilled and I’m on the verge of hives.

We have a general idea of where we’re going and know we want to end up back at home in a couple of weeks, but that’s as specific as the details get. So far we’ve stopped in Conway, Little Rock, Hot Springs, and Arkadelphia on the drive through Arkansas. Deciding where to stay the other night was based on how many hotel points the Hampton Inn required. Arkadelphia won. We booked it on the fly and to my amazement, it turned out fine.

Yesterday we stopped in Jefferson, Texas on our way to Dallas. Jim’s cousin drove over from another nearby small town to meet us for lunch at Kitt’s Kornbread Sandwich and Pie Bar. The menu only offers a few things, but it had to have been one of the finest lunches I have ever eaten.

We could choose from Kornbread sandwiches, a couple of soups, two kinds of salad or Frito pie. It was a toss up between the Frito Pie and the unusual sandwich. I settled on the veggie sandwich on broccoli cornbread, sweet tea and a piece of buttermilk pie. My taste buds were confused, but pleased.

We’re in Texas for a couple of days then off to Colorado. I’m relaxing a little about the lack of a plan. We didn’t get to make one stop we really wanted to. I guess we’ll have to come back through Texas on our way home. I realize that’s the benefit of no plan, schedule or itinerary. We’re making it up as we go and so far the surprises are good ones.

I’m slowly learning sometimes the best things happen when there’s not a plan.

“In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the house of the Four Seasons? Or the signatures of Presidents or Jay Gould, the man who cursed the town? The boxcar? It's an historic town - I hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that little town! Joey and I were going to stay in a bed and breakfast there once, but it was full - we were also being spontaneous which was a first for us. Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete