Tuesday, August 3, 2010


“A fool shows his annoyance at once ...” ~ Proverbs 12:16

Yesterday was a run errands by the list day. If I don’t make a list, I’ll go in a store to buy sticky notes, get distracted, and leave with next year’s month-at-a-glance calendar with a cute floral design cover. Without a list it’s hard for me to stay on task. So I set out with my list to run important errands ... like pick up the Caribou Coffee pods for the Keurig at Bed Bath And Beyond and return a faulty pump bottle of lotion to Target.

The last stop before I headed home was Pearle Vision to see if they could do anything about the scratch on Jim’s new sunglasses. I knew August had officially arrived because it was 103 and it felt like the heat index was somewhere around 120. It was so good to walk in the store. I couldn’t have been one of the pioneer women with all those petticoats traipsing across the West without air conditioning.

I set my purse down in a chair and started explaining to the clerk what I needed help with. We’d been talking for three or four minutes when Droid randomly started playing music, loudly. I just stared in amazement. An older woman at the next desk said, “Your phone is ringing.” Surprised I said, “No, that’s not my ring.”

Obviously she had ignored what I had said because she asked in an irritated voice, “Aren’t you going to answer it? At this point I was pushing and sliding everything on the phone. “It’s not ringing, that’s Jimmy Buffett singing, “I said smiling, “And I can’t figure it out.”

Then the exasperated woman said with a furrowed brow, “Can’t you just turn it off?” That’s when I began to feel like the third grader standing at the black board who couldn’t come up with the correct answer in front of the whole class. Instantly I wanted to tell the annoyed woman to calm down and that the glasses she had picked out were ugly. Then I remember the rest of the “a fool shows his annoyance at once” proverb ... “but a prudent man overlooks an insult.”

So, I thanked the clerk for her help, apologized for the disruption and went next door to the Verizon store to discover I had bumped the Pandora radio application Jason had put on Droid. It evidently had taken several minutes to download. Maybe the heat is getting to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment