Wednesday, August 18, 2010


The ick factor for mildew in the shower, molded food in the fridge, and smelly workout clothes is close to 10 on a 1-10 scale. However, for me, lice are so disgusting, they’re off the scale somewhere around a 17. I didn’t even know what lice were until a little girl arrived at summer camp with the nasty critters. Evidently they reproduce faster than rabbits and spread quicker than chickenpox.

Getting rid of lice is expensive, time consuming and just gross. After washing hair with special shampoo, washing linens at scorching temperatures, and spraying upholstered surfaces, if you are fortunate, they'll be eliminated.

The problem is the larvae stick like glue to hair, so they have to be meticulously taken out with a nit comb. No only did I learn about lice that summer, I learned the real meaning of nit picking. Nits are tiny and near impossible to find unless you know what you are looking for. They almost have to be hunted.

Last night I was sitting on a bench by the outdoor seating area of a restaurant waiting on some friends to join us for dinner. It was hard not to hear the family sitting behind me. The wife started in on the husband, “You sounded like you didn’t want to join the rest of us for dinner. Why do you have to have that kind of attitude?” And on and on she went.

The husband became defensive and came back on the attack with a speech about her spending $20.00 too much, and besides that why was she always late. Meanwhile the mother-in-law and their two children and, for that matter anyone in ear shot, had to listen to their bickering and nit picking. I was so tempted to turn around and ask, “Are you kidding me?” My better judgement stopped me.

After having spending a three hour dinner I'll always remember with our friends and old neighbors Richard and Marsha, I was even more bothered by the ridiculous conversation I overheard before diner. Richard is in a grueling fight with cancer. The two of them are grateful and appreciate every day they have. They understand what’s really important. I was again reminded life is too short to waste time focused on trivial matters ... picking for disgusting nits.

No comments:

Post a Comment