Saturday, May 29, 2010


When you know better and do it anyway, I think it’s called asking-for-it. The Friday of Memorial Day weekend is not the time to travel and it’s not the time to even pull in the parking lot of the Super Center. I knew better and I did both anyway.

People get a little crazy and careless on holiday weekends. Just the sheer volume of traffic makes a simple road trip life risking. Television is the only place I have seen a worse accident than I saw yesterday. Two vehicles, a truck pulling a goose neck trailer carrying a backhoe, and a horse trailer were all scattered and smashed so badly it was hard to tell what happened. It added an hour to my trip, but caused me to slow down and remember how fragile life is.

Once I got home I decided to make a quick trip to town. It would keep me from having to venture into the sea of vacationers today. I waited until about 7 to go to Walmart. So did everyone else. The aisles were jammed, products were out of stock, and they were calling for all checkers to report to their registers. I stood for 10 minutes in the express line.

To pass time I read the magazine covers and learned Oprah and her friend Gayle had a screaming match in public, John Travolta and his wife are having twins and three ways to loose weight while eating everything you want.

All of a sudden someone yelled, “WELCOME TO WALMART!” I looked up from my third magazine to see the greeter in his blue vest yell it again. Then someone walked past him to leave and he shouted and pointed to her, “HAVE A GREAT DAY!” He startled a lot people, but made everyone smile. I did.

I finally made it to the cashier. “That guy is sure enjoying his job,” I said. “Oh, he’s new. I don’t know him very well. He does have one thing figured out though. If you have to work you might as well have fun doing it,” she smiled.

Brilliant idea. We all have to work in one way or another, paid or not. There are some things that just have to be done, so you might as well have fun while you do them. Who knows, like the Walmart greeter, you might make someone smile.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...”
-Colossians 3:23

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your blog! Looking foward to meeting you face to face one day, hopefully soon. Blessings, Teela

    ReplyDelete