Tuesday, May 25, 2010


When a string of challenging days come in a row, I start to feel like I am sinking. No matter how strong and steady you claim to be, if you’re honest, you’ll admit life can wear you out too. I feel like I’ve had not just back to back days, but weeks that have poked holes in my boat and it’s taking on water. It bullies around my confidence to be able to handle life.

Lack of confidence and fear creep into our lives as we grow up. Kids are fearless until adults teach them boundaries for their own safety. Obviously that’s necessary, but if pushed too far a paralyzing fear takes hold. My mom grew up on a farm with a stock pond. She never learned to swim and had to work hard at overcoming her fear of water because she was told over and over, “Don’t go near the pond because you could drown.”

In the same way we learn to be afraid and lose our confidence, we can build it back ... piece by piece. I was out walking a few days ago and I had to give myself a good talking to. Do you ever do that? I was to the point I could either sink to the bottom in the stock pond of fear and worry or start swimming, real fast. It’s not that I don’t know how to swim to pull myself up out of that sinking feeling, I didn’t think I had the energy.

So I talked out loud to myself. It’s more convincing that way. It concerns the neighbors I’m sure. “I am strong. I am confident. I can handle anything tossed my way. I have energy and I’m not tired. I will not sit down give up. God made me and loves me and won’t give me more than I can handle. I like myself. I am loved. I can do it!”

Did I instantly feel those things? Nope. Sometimes it’s best to fake it until your feelings catch up. They eventually will.

Here’s a video clip of three-year-old Jessica doing her affirmation dance. I’m telling you it’s like learning to snow ski; it’s much easier at three than forty-three. It’s amazing what we can learn from the kids. Enjoy your day and keep on swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” -2 Timothy 1:7

1 comment:

  1. I love the video! What if we did this every morning until we believed it? Just think how God could use us!

    ReplyDelete