Tuesday, May 18, 2010


I got a phone call not long ago that started out pleasant enough, but out of nowhere, it turned really ugly. The caller was so angry, not at me, just flat out angry, I think at the whole world and some things were said that stung like blowing sand. Nothing bad enough to injure, but enough to aggravate and burn. It kept coming and nothing was calming down so when I got a chance I said, “Oh, look at the time. Have to run. Bye for now.”

I flopped back in the chair and realized this was one of those pivotal moments when a choice has to be made. Do I let this obviously bitter, enraged person mess with my mind or am Teflon? I let it mess with me for a little while, then I realized I’m better off Teflon.

Teflon is one of my favorite inventions, right up there with caller ID. Nothing sticks to good Teflon, it just slides right off. Even the worst burned mess will come off with just a little water.

When hurtful things are said and done we all have a choice, we can be Teflon or Velcro. When we allow things to stick instead of slide the temptation is to rehash and replay over and over. I’d like to be to the point when anything potentially damaging is said I’d think, “Oh, whatever”, and let it roll.

You don’t have to be a beauty pageant contestant to want world peace, or just some personal peace. We’re all calm when everything around us is calm, which is rare. The challenge is this: if you want your world under control and peaceful, you have to be under control and peaceful. The people around us can’t give us peace. It has to come from inside us. If the rest of the world can’t give us peace, then they shouldn’t be able to take it away either. Teflon is the way to go.

“A heart at peace gives life to the body...”
-Proverbs 14:30

No comments:

Post a Comment