Thursday, May 6, 2010


I was talking with a woman I had just met as we walked from one building to another past what at first looked like a large hedge. I stopped when I realized tiny red roses were hiding in the leaves like crepe paper party decorations. “This is like a huge miniature rose hedge. I’ve never seen anything like it. That’s amazing,” I said carefully touching the flowers like they might break.

My new friend came to a halt. “Wow! That is unbelievable. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that before either. What’s even more unbelievable is I have walked down this sidewalk in the spring for years and I thought this was just an ordinary hedge. I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed it. Thanks for pointing it out.”

“I guess it’s like walking by the same boy every day in high school. All of a sudden one day you realize how cute he is,” I smiled, knowing I’ve done the same thing.

Aren’t we all oblivious, just with different things. There’s no telling how much we miss because we’re so preoccupied. Have you ever been driving down the highway and suddenly realize you don’t remember the last two miles? It’s as if we’ve been in a hypnotic trance and someone snapped their fingers. What’s scary is we’re rolling down the road at 65, or faster, our body in the car and our brain on another planet.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if we challenged ourselves to be acutely aware of the people who surround us noticing details we overlook. What if we took the time to study a sunset or a mountain or lake we see all the time, but really don’t take a serious look. Kind of like drug awareness programs, we should put ourselves in a life awareness program. Who knows what we might see or learn.

“Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.  Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart.” 
-Mary Jean Iron

No comments:

Post a Comment