Wednesday, December 1, 2010

There are some things that just can’t be explained, like why does a dropped piece of toast always land jelly side down, or why does the phone ring just as you get the shampoo lathered in your hair, or why do people die before they should. Being the logical, connect the dots thinker, I more times than not try to figure out at least a semi logical reason, like the weight of jelly flips the toast. But the more years I see come to a close, the more I realize so much of life will always remain of mystery.


My friend Sandee sent me this picture of the hands in the clouds. The spiritual giant that I am, the first thing I wondered was what atmospheric conditions it took for the clouds to do that, but after staring at it I saw the hands. I will say I did see them faster than when someone tries to point out giraffes or Marilyn Monroe when you’re laying in the grass looking at the sky.


Why does everything have to be analyzed and solved with a reason and a purpose? I think our stress levels would drop significantly if we simply chalked unexplainable up to just that, unexplainable.


If you think about it, do we really question the why when good things happen? I’ve never tried to figure out why the parking space right beside the front door at the Super Center opens up just as I arrive in the pouring rain or why I hit all green lights when I’m running late for a dental appointment. It’s a different story when I have to park two city blocks away or hit 5 red lights in a row. We’re quick to complain about the negative, but why do we forget to be grateful for the positive?


Maybe if we spent less time trying to figure things out and more time whispering, “Thank You,” we’d be better off.


“Be still and know that I am God ...”

~Psalm 46:10




No comments:

Post a Comment