Thursday, December 9, 2010

Some of the tiniest things are the meanest most powerful creatures on the planet. They can bring the even strongest, seemingly invincible people too their knees. They have the ability to take out large groups at a time or over time ... the stomach flu bugs. They tend to march in Army battalions and nothing, not even the strongest GermX, can stop them.


The last time I was attacked was six years ago when I was visiting Kari and Travis. The best place to get sick is at a doctor’s house. Travis brought home IV fluids and propped me up in the living room in the recliner. It felt kind of like a high school science project, but it worked.


I was close to calling him again yesterday. The flu bugs charged full force. All three of Kari and Travis kids had had it, Vivian and Jill got it, David flew back to Virginia and came down with it, then it hammered me. Alison and Smith who hadn’t even been around us came down with it. The sad thing is we’ve probably all shared it with others before it took us down.


I slept 18 hours a day and I felt so bad, my hair even hurt if that’s possible. But I think I’m on my way out of it. It left me so weak I had to take a break when I was brushing my teeth.


I Googled up stomach flu and learned the technical term is viral gastroenteritis. There is no prevention except hand washing and to date there is no cure. That’s encouraging. I did find out it can be deadly in children and older people.


All I know is I don’t want it again. It was a good reminder of how important my health is and it did cause me to wonder how close I am to that older people age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment