Saturday, December 4, 2010

“Hey there. How’re you doing?” I turned around to see if someone was behind me the middle aged guy must be talking to, but no one was there.


“Umm, pretty good,” I answered a little confused. I just wanted to stand in line in the crowded Wendy’s and be quiet for a few minutes, but it looked like that wouldn’t happen.


“Say, have you tried the new salad. It’s really good?” He was really trying. “You look like a girl who watches what she eats,” he said winking.


I squinted thinking about that. Was it a compliment or did he think I needed to watch it? Either way this was getting annoying. “So do you eat here often,” he went on.


Are you kidding me I thought. Was he trying to pick me up in a Wendy’s order line? Now that’s classy! I started looking around for Jim Brawner who surely put the guy up to this.


“Do you live here,” he asked. Who was this person who looked a little like a combination of my high school principal and Orson Wells?


Almost to the counter I asked, “Do I know you?”


“No, not yet.”


“You know, I normally don’t talk to strangers standing in line unless they’re tourists asking for directions or dinner suggestions. Besides this “girl” is the mother of three and grandmother of 7 and my husband, who I’ve been married to since the Nixon administration, will be here any minute. I’m way past the expiration date on flirting.”


“Oh,” he said a little surprised. “Well, it never hurts to try.” He turned around, got out of line and left. I ordered a salad ... and a frosty.

2 comments:

  1. Rock on Suzette!! You still got it! (and no, you don't know me either!) love reading your blogs....thanks for that smile on a sometimes cloudy day!!

    ReplyDelete