Friday, July 9, 2010


“Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passerby who meddles in a quarrel not his own.” Proverbs 26:17

Years ago I ran into a friend and, after we exchanged the obligatory pleasantries, her evil twin came out. Her smile turned into a scowl and she started ranting about a mutual friend, “She did this and she did that. Can you believe it? Don’t you think I should cut off our friendship? I think you should too!”

“Wait a minute,” I said a little surprised at her tirade. This has absolutely nothing to do with me. I refuse to get involved. It’s between the two of you.”

Well, it’s just not fair. We’ve been friends for years and she treated me that way,” she started again totally ignoring what I had said.

“I’m so sorry. You’re obviously upset. However, what’s not fair is she’s not here to defend herself. This is clearly something you two need to settle,” I said as I turned and walked away. “Talk to you later.”

All of us can find ourselves in the same situation and learning the hard way, I’ve realized it’s best to stay out of other people’s business. Why do we get involved? I suppose we think we can swoop in like a superhero and save the day. Rarely does that happen. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Powers, called it meddling not helping. Even with kids, unless they’re beating the tar out of each other, it’s best to let them settle things on their own.

My mom’s version of King Solomon’s wise words was: “If you’re not part of the problem or part of the solution, keep out of it.” I’ve stayed out of the way of a lot of angry dogs by heeding her advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment