Saturday, July 17, 2010


I think I run on autopilot the first hour I’m awake in the morning. It’s similar to a reentry into the world like an astronaut or deep sea diver. I suppose it’s a decompression of sorts. Jim Brawner is a hit the ground and attack the day kind of a guy. I thought something was wrong with him right after we got married. Sometimes I still do. I’m sure he still wonders about me too.

I get out of bed slowly and head to the bathroom. Once I fell back to sleep in there. Then I go straight to the Keurig cup-at-a-time. I hope the inventor received a big Christmas bonus the year he or she came up with that idea. The beautiful thing is the no waiting on a whole pot to brew. And it totally takes the risk out of burning your hand while trying to steal a cup before the finished light comes on.

I heard a good habit to establish is drinking 8-16 ounces of water before you put anything in your mouth in the morning. It’s supposed to help wash out the toxins and get your body revved up for the day. I’m really trying to make that a habit, but for now I’m relying on the coffee.

I shuffle over and have a seat in my thinking chair and try to get my brain to catch up with my body while I stare out the window and consider everything I’m grateful for. It seems to set my attitude especially when I’m facing a challenging day.

As much as I’d like to speed up, every time I try, it actually slows things down. So, I’ll stick with my morning routine. My brain must be wired to preheat like an oven. Things just don’t cook right if the process is rushed.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about mornings! Thanks to modern technology (and a Mr. Droid), I can now check my morning messages and calendar right from the comfort of my bed!!

    ReplyDelete