Monday, March 1, 2010


The first year Jim and I were married was a bit shocking for me. In all fairness, I guess it probably was for him too. I’m still trying to figure out why, after walking down the aisle, we think we will magically be able to change the new spouse. Those little annoying things once overlooked now almost give us a nervous tic. You know ... not putting the toilet seat down, leaving empty glasses everywhere and socks on the floor.

After we’d been married about 10 years Jim randomly brought me a gift. It was a plaque on a little block of wood that read “70 X 7.” He explained, “It’s to remind you how many times you’re supposed to forgive me when I do dumb things. I didn’t make it up. Jesus said it so you really should do it.” He had me on that one.

It still sits on the kitchen counter, because I still need the reminder. I’ve learned over the years it’s best to live by the little plaque. Forgive and get over it quickly. We all know people who tally up how many times they have been wronged. They keep ledgers and have recall like the Amazing Kreskin. Ledger-keeper-people make me nervous because I’m always tripping over my tongue or forgetting things. I’m sure my name on their ledger has a long list under it. They aren’t fun to be around.

Lately I’ve chosen not to spend time with people like that because when I do, I tend to hold my breath. Everything I read says breath holding is not good for you. There’s enough pressure navigating life as it is. Why add more?

The next time you are wronged, pout for a bit if it makes you feel better. Even throw a little fit if you need to. But then, as Jill says, go to Lowe’s, buy some lumber, build a bridge and get on over it.

“...love keeps no record of wrongs.”
-1 Corinthians 13:4

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Great job Susu! Pleasant dreams... - shel

    ReplyDelete