Tuesday, March 9, 2010


Do you ever come to the end of the day feeling like you were an unsuspecting victim of a hostile takeover? The day just sneaks up, kicks you around then runs. Yesterday came and left with so much confusion it felt like I had just stayed in one spot spinning in circles. It’s real hard to walk or think straight after you do that. It’s best to just sit down.

At 7:00am I discovered someone had hacked into my email and sent a link to my address book friends. It really bothered me for about an hour. But then I realized surely those in my address book are savvy enough to know I’m not promoting sexual dysfunction drugs for a company in Canada.

Seven phone calls concerning my sick Dad and three more calls from friends in need drained several mega watts of energy right out of me. I did get part of the house cleaned and some errands checked off the list before I went to a meeting that ran much longer than I realized it would. At 9pm I had dinner ... a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats.

I can handle days like that from time to time, but several in a row might leave me sitting in a chair staring into space. Today I’m in regroup mode. Things just aren’t running on all cylinders. The cold I was almost over evidently decided it wasn’t finished with me yet.

It’s times like this I miss my mom. I used to call her and whine about out-of-control days and she would say, “Put on some lipstick. You’ll feel better.” Lipstick was her solution for numerous things. I think it was simply a kind way of saying suck it up and get over it.

I broke my foot once playing racquet ball. When I called my mother-in-law to tell her about it she asked several questions then said, “Take a laxative. You’ll feel better.”

“How will a laxative help a broken foot,” I asked. “I’m not real sure, but you’ll feel better,” she insisted. I think I’ll stick with my mom’s theory.

Yesterday ended at midnight and I’ve determined today will be running smoother. Who is in control anyway, me or the day. If it gets a little hectic I’ll put on some lipstick and push on. Even if things don’t smooth out, I’ll feel better anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I like Jill's comment - go to Lowe's, buy some wood, build a bridge and get over it:) Sorry you had a hard day! Hope today is better

    ReplyDelete